Most people expect dental emergencies to occur when playing football, lacrosse or when doing something like rock climbing. But the truth is that you can slip, trip, fall, or suffer a blow to the mouth at almost any time. With that in mind, it is a good idea to have a dental first aid kit on hand along with a regular first aid kit.
We have a quick list of things that you should keep in your dental first aid kit. Our dentist, Dr. Edwards can give you more tips on what you can include, and what to do if a dental emergency strikes.
– Dental floss, toothpicks and a toothbrush – These can be used to remove things trapped between your teeth.
– Aspirin, ibuprofen, topical analgesic, clove oil – These are effective at relieving discomfort from your injury.
– Hydrogen peroxide, salt – Hydrogen peroxide is useful for cleaning a wound, and salt can be dissolved in water to rinse your mouth and relieve pain.
– Sterile gauze, tea bags – Use these items to stop bleeding. The tannin in a moist tea bag is useful for bleeding as well.
– Tooth preserving solution – This can keep a knocked out tooth alive until you can get in to see the dentist.
– Dental wax – This can be used to cover a loose wire from your braces.
– Temporary filling material – It is available in drug stores and can be used to replace a lost filling.
– Cold pack – A cold pack can reduce swelling and help with any pain
– Dental cement and Vaseline – Vaseline can be used to slide lost crown back into place, and dental cement can keep it there.
Remember that first aid is just that. If you have a dental emergency in Newhall, California, you should call Three Sixty Dentistry at 661-254-4000 so we can schedule you for an appointment as soon as possible. We are happy to help you get back to your best smile!